Thursday 10 January 2013

Audible review- The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst
By Michael Scott

Title: The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1)

Read by: Dennis O'Hare

Published: 22 May 2007

No. of pages: 375

Listening length: 10 hours and 5 mins


About
He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.

The records show that he died in 1418.

But his tomb is empty.

The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.

Sometimes legends are true.

And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time.


Goodreads and Amazon

My rating: 4.25/5

My Thoughts

It took numerous journeys to and from work before I had finished listening to the Alchemyst, however I found it riveting to listen to. Although there were many myths and legends involved, and much description, it helped me to imagine the story out more. One thing I noticed when listening to this was that Michael Scott used all senses to describe things, not just sight, which is what most people rely on. I liked the idea that everyone is associated with different smells, Josh-oranges, Sophie-vanilla icecream and Dr. Dee-rotten eggs!

I have no idea how Denis O'Hare could alter his voice to suit so many different characters but it was very impressive. I honestly thought there was more than one narrator.

I listened to the audio version through my online library but for some ridiculous reason they do not have book 2 in the series? Where is the logic in that, I ask?

Fear not because once I have caught up with my reading reviews, I will purchase book 2 to find out what happens next in the story. I really want to know if Josh turns out to be the destructive twin or not, since the ending did imply that he was beginning to sway towards Dr. Dee. I really hope he doesn't because it's very sweet how protective he is of his twin sister, I would hate to see that relationship ruined because of jealousy.

Meanwhile, I will re-listen to the Harry Potter series :P

Zed (:

No comments:

Post a Comment