Wednesday 30 January 2013

Review of 13th Cycle

The 13th Cycle
By Sabrina Ricci


About

Amara Randall is a college student with a passion for exposing the truth. When she sees the havoc the Maya calendar predictions wreak, she decides to debunk the myths and try to restore the peace.

Mahaway is a charismatic young scribe in ancient Maya. But her world is torn apart when a greedy new king declares war on her city.

Now at the end of 2012, Amara’s obsession leads her to uncovering a deadly conspiracy, one with roots dating back more than a thousand years. Using clues Mahaway has left behind as a guide, Amara must stop the conspirators’ terrifying plan before December 21. If she doesn’t, the world really will end.


Source: Goodreads

My rating: 4/5

My thoughts

Ever since the hype around the world ending on December 21st I have been curious about the Mayans. I knew there had to be some background story behind the predictions but I never found the time to research into it. One day I won an ebook copy of The 13th Cycle by Sabrina Ricci and I was most pleased to find that this featured exactly what I had been lookign for and this weekend I have finally read it


A short, yet most interesting read. I enjoy reading short stories because there tends to be a lot going on throughout the book, so I am less likely to become bored/distracted and abandon the book. However, short stories often run the risk of overwhelming the reader with too much information and a confusing plot to follow.

The 13th Cycle fell in the former category and had a fast paced, yet easy to follow story. I found out much about mayan myths than I thought there was to know. I liked the switch between the original mayans' story and the present day journalists' adventure every other chapter. An engaging book, and one I am glad to have read!

Zed (:

No comments:

Post a Comment