Snippet from previous Vampire Diaries episode...
I love this scene from the vampire diaries season 4. Quick update before the scene so it will help you remember what is happening at this point:
- Elena has been turned into a vampire;
- Stefan is looking for the cure to make Elena human again
- Elena's emotions are heightened and she cannot drink blood from animals or from blood bags, only from the vein;
- It is the day of April's father's funeral and everyone is grieving over their losses;
- Stefan holds a group gathering for everyone to light a lantern in remembrance of the people they have lost, Damon declines;
- Whilst everyone lights lanterns, Damon drunkenly goes to Alaric's (best friend's) grave to talk to him....
Damon: 'They're floating lanterns in the sky, can you believe that? Japanese lanterns is a symbol of letting go of the past. Well, here's a newsflash; we're not Japanese!’ Damon takes a gulp of his alcohol.
‘I know what they are, children. Like lighting a candle will make everything ok, or even saying a prayer, or pretending Elena is not going to end up just like the rest of us murderous vampires. Stupid, delusional, exasperating, little children.
I know what you're going to say, 'it makes them feel better, Damon.' So what? For how long? A minute, a day? What difference does it make, because in the end when you lose somebody every candle, every prayer is not going to make up for the fact that the only thing that you have... left... is a whole in your life where that somebody used to be.
And a rock, with a birthday carved into it that I'm pretty sure is wrong'