Thursday 22 August 2013

Review of Gallagher Girls #4

Only the Good Spy Young
(Gallagher Girls #4)
 
By Ally Carter

About:
When Cammie Morgan enrolled at the Gallagher Academy, she knew she was preparing for the dangerous life of a spy. What she didn’t know was that the serious, real-life danger would start during her junior year of high school. But that’s exactly what happened two months ago when Cammie faced off against an ancient terrorist organization dead set on kidnapping her.

Now the danger follows her everywhere, and even Cammie “The Chameleon” can’t hide. When a terrifying encounter in London reveals that one of her most-trusted allies is actually a rogue double-agent, Cammie no longer knows if she can trust her classmates, her teachers—or even her own heart.

In this fourth installment of the New York Times best-selling series, the Gallagher Girls must hack, spy, steal, and lie their way to the truth.as they go searching for answers, recognizing that the key to Cammie’s future may lie deep in the past.


Source: Goodreads

My Rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts:

I loved this instalment of the Gallagher Girls. As the series has progressed, the books have become more intense, with deeper more insightful issues being addressed and we get to find out more about Cammie's family.

In this book, Cammie is fully aware that she is the target but has no idea why. Extra security measures are being enforced at the school, and despite Cammie being the 'chameleon,' she finds she is now in the limelight and is constantly being watched.

Joe Solomon, their previous Co-ops teacher, is on the run and despite Cammie and the girls believing in his innocence, all the adults are positive he is working for the Circle who are after Cammie. As a result, there is a new Covert Operations teacher, but it seems he is there more to search the school for leads on Solomon and get into Sublevel 2 (which has locked itself to everyone) than teach the students. Furthermore, the girls do Not like Agent Townsend, and want to know just exactly what he is hiding.

Yes, Zach is back and we uncover more of his secrets too, and we learn more about Blackthorne and its students.

Love, love, love this series and if you haven't read it then you must give it a try! The ending was brilliant and I cannot wait to read the next instalment!

Zed (:

Favourite quotes:

"You still don't get it do you?" he was almost smiling as he closed the folder. "Joe Solomon is the threat."
"That's ridiculous," I shot back. "Mr Solomon is my teacher."
The man stood. "You can stop calling him 'mister,' young lady." He walked to the door and rapped on the glass. "Joe Solomon will never be your teacher again."

"Abraham Baxter, MI6," Bex's father said from the front seat. Beside me, Bex's mother gave her own name, then nudged me softly in the ribs.
"Um...Cameron Ann Morgan...Gallagher Girl?" I didn't have a clue what my official title was or should be. International terrorist target? Teenage girl? Spy in training? Person who really, really wants to know what's going on?

The hallways were quiet. The Hall of History was dark. Below us, the last of our classmates were being cleared to come, home, but nothing of the place around me felt like the home I'd left.
Well - that is, until I heard the screaming.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but when you're a spy, your life isn't defined by the lies you tell, but by the truths. A lie wouldn't change anything I sat there, numb, knowing that the truth...the truth could set me free.

"So the question is," Bex said slowly, "how far are you willing to go?"
I looked at my three best friends in the world. "How far is there?"

"No," I shook my head. "That's just it. We don't know anything. I know bombs and antidotes and how to say 'parakeet' in Portuguese, but I don't know where my father is buried."

There are things that go unsaid between people lingering under the surface for decades, for lifetimes. I've wondered sometimes if spies have fewer of those things. More, I think. There are just too many thing that even the bravest of people in the world aren't brave enough to say out loud.

If we hadn't hated him a lot, we might have liked him a little at that moment. But we did. So we didn't. 

"A seasoned operative should always check his or her perimeter at unexpected times and in unexpected ways." I glanced at Mr. Smith's nightgown - I mean shirt...nightshirt. If unexpected was what it took to stay safe, then Mr. Smith was going to be alive forever.

"She said he's alive!"
"Don't let yourself be fooled, Cammie!" my mother snapped, then dropped her voice to a whisper, "Don't let yourself...hope."
I know too well how dangerous hope can be, how it grows and sometimes dies, taking its host with it. It's more powerful than anything Dr. Fibs keeps in his labs, more precious than all the secrets in Sublevel Two.

Well, needless to say, that was followed by a lot of hugging. And some crying. And a fair amount of "I-love-you-too-ing." But, eventually, they had to let me go. Eventually, everyone does.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment