Wednesday 15 May 2013

Review of City of Bones



City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments
#1)
 
By Cassandra Clare

About

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end

Source: Goodreads

My rating: 4.75/5

My thoughts:

I feel as if I am being too generous with m recent reads but they have all been so amazing! City of Bones was a brilliant read, the characters were witty, plot was surprising and it was nicely paced; not too fast to confuse you and not so slow that you get bored. Not that you would get bored of Jace *sigh*

Yes, I have fallen into the Jace Wayland fanclub and I am not ashamed to admit it. My latest book boyfriend; and I didn't think anyone could match up to Augustus Waters from the fault in our stars! Not that the two are alike, oh no. Jace is slightly vain, blunt, a leeetle bit arrogant, very sarcastic but can also be quite charming. Hmm, I am not painting a very good picture of him am I? Well, I guess you will just have to read the book for yourself to find out more. Although I can tell you he has the whole bad boy/tortured soul thing, with the closed-off feelings attitude. That is until he meets Clary.

I was surprised to find that I liked both the male and female protagonists of this story, usually it's just one or the other. However, Clary is the exception. Born with shadowhunter blood but has no awareness of the shadowhunters, vampires, demons and the other 'mythical' characters her world is made of until one night in Pandemonium where she sees something or someone otherwise invisible. And that is where the story begins

I don't want to give too much away here because I feel as if you are worthy of reading this yourself. I'm beginning to sound like Valentine....who, you ask? Read and find out.


Favourite Quotes:

"I was laughing at you because declarations of love amuse me, especially when unrequited," he said.

Clary turned instant traitor against her gender. "Those girls on the other side of the car are staring at you."
Jace assumed an air of mellow gratification. "Of course they are," he said. "I am stunningly attractive."
"Haven't you ever heard that modesty is an attractive trait?"
"Only from ugly people," Jace confided. "The meek may inherit the earth, but at the moment it it belongs to the conceited. Like me" He winked at the girls,  who giggled and hid behind their hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment