Saturday 6 July 2013

Scarlet review

Scarlet
(Lunar Chronicles #2)
 
By Marissa Myer

About
 
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner


Source: Goodreads
 
My rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts:
I must say, I enjoyed Cinder much more. Probably because Scarlet was darker than Cinder and had not of a serious tone since Cinder and Thorne, her prison-friend, have escaped from prison and are on the run.

While Cinder is running away we see a twist on the Little Red Riding Hood tale in the form of Scarlet, her grandmother and the wolf. I liked how these two seemingly separate stories intertwined as the book progresses.

Thorne is a hilarious character and thank goodness we see Iko back, although Iko Is in a very 'different' form. We see less of Kai in this book too, which is a real shame since I really wanted Kai and Cinder to resolve their misunderstandings.

I wonder which fairytale the next book in this series will be based on....


Zed :(

Favourite Quotes:

Roland caught his balance on a stool. "What's wrong with you?" he choked out, running his neck. "Are you some lunatic city transplant or something?"
"You were being disrespectful."
"Disrespectful?" barked Roland. "You just tried to kill me!"

"I can see that you're in need of an accomplice," Thorne said, straightening his jumpsuit. "And lucky for you, I happen to be a criminal mastermind."
She glowered at him. "Go away."
"That's a difficult request in this situation."

"So this ship of yours. It is the stolen one, right? From the American military?"
"I don't like to think of it as 'stolen.' They have no proof that I didn't plan on giving it back."
"You're kidding, right?"
He shrugged. "You have no proof either."
She squinted back at him. "Were you planning on giving it back?"
"Maybe."

Cinder's optimism crumbled. "Tell me you recognize something."
"Yeah, yeah, I do," he said, waving her away. "I just haven't been here in a while."
"Think faster. We aren't exactly blending in with our surroundings out here."
With a nod, Thorne started down the street. "This way."
Five steps later he paused, pondered, turned around. "No, no, this way."
"We're dead."
"No, I've got it now. It's this way."
"Don't you have an address?"
"A captain always knows where his ship is. It's like a psychic bond."
"If only we had a captain here."


The same sterile feminine voice came over the ship's speakers. "Thorne, I can't set the automatic lift. You're going to have to take off manually."
He gaped at the controls. "Why is my ship talking back to me?"
"It's me, you idiot!"
He cocked his ear toward the speaker. "Cinder?"

"You opened my control panel?" she said, her words a little clearer with anger behind them.
He scowled. "I didn't want to."
Her expression was sour as she peered at him- not entirely angry, but not grateful either. They stared at each other for a long time, as the engine hummed across the hallway and a light in the corner started to go out, flickering at random intervals.
"Well," Cinder finally grumbled. "I guess that was pretty fast thinking."
A relieved grin filled up Thorne's face. "We're having another moment, aren't we?"
"If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are."

A firework exploded in her rib cage and she launched forward, grabbing Wolf's fist in both hands. "There's nothing here!" she screamed at the charm. "We're not hiding anything and you have the wrong woman! You'd better bring my grandmother back, and I swear on the house I was born in if you've hurt one hair, one wrinkle, one freckle on her body and I am going to hunt every last one of you down and snap your necks like the chickens you are, do you understand me? BRING HER BACK!"
Throat hoarse, she fell back and released Wolf's hand.
"Finished?"
Trembling with anger, Scarlet nodded.

Scarlet took another sip from her cup and found that her taste buds disapproved. She set it back down on the saucer. "If you were a gentleman, you would offer to buy me one as well."
"If you were a lady, you would have waited for me to make the offer."
Scarlet smirked, but the man was already beckoning to the bartender and ordering a second chocolate milk.

Pouting, Thorne slumped into the capilot's seat. "He didn't mention me. Not once."
"Me either," said Iko, without pity.
"You're not an escaped convict."
"True, but His Majesty and I met once, at the market. I felt like we had a really strong connection. Didn't you think so, Cinder?"

Blue eyes twinkling, Thorne hooked his thumbs behind his belt. He looked slightly ridiculous in his fancy leather jacket in this quaint rural town, and yet he had the swagger of a man who belonged there. Who belonged anywhere he wished to. "You might be a crazy Lunar, but you're not evil. As long as you're using your glamour to help people, and more important, to help me, then there's nothing to feel guilty about." He stopped to check his hair in the dirty window of a shoe store while Cinder gawked at him.
"I hope that wasn't your idea of a pep talk."

"I don't want your loyalty."
Scarlet planted her hands on her hips. "What do you want?"
"I want- I want some time to think about this and figure out what to do next without everyone yapping in my ear!" Cinder stomped off towards the main corridor, every other step a loud clang as her metal foot struck the floor.
When she had gone, Thorne let out a low whistle "I know, I know. She seems a little"- crossing his eyes, he swirled both fingers around his ears-"but it's really part of her charm, once you get to know her."


No comments:

Post a Comment